Finally, off to Florida! This has probably been the one time I have planned a vacation so much in advance. A useful side-effect of all the travel my job requires is that I collect a lot of frequent flyer miles. And so, this time I get to take my family to the USA and back, on business class and without having to pay! However, to get confirmed seats on business class using miles required me to book my seats about 12 months in advance. I am travelling on Air France and Delta.
In an earlier post, I had described the Disney resort I am going to stay in while at Orlando. The last time I was at Orlando was before the days of digital cameras and blogs. This time, I will expect to have pictures and stories to share with the world-at-large when I return!
Here are some interesting facts and trivia about Florida:
- A Spanish explorer discovered Florida and named it after Pasqua Florida, a Spanish term for the Easter season.
- Florida is not the southern most state in the USA; Hawaii is further south.
- Orlando attracts more visitors than any other amusement park destination in the USA
- The world's first sun-tan cream was invented in Florida by cooking cocoa butter in a granite coffee pot!
- More hurricanes have made landfall in Florida than anywhere else in the world in recent times